Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Finding Atlas


On our last morning in NYC, my mother and I were explored Rockefeller Center. After "The Today Show" we went to the Top of the Rock and then walked around the block looking for Atlas. I couldn't remember exactly where Atlas was located, but I knew it was somewhere in Rockefeller Center. Everyone knows that. Or at least I thought. I asked about three or four people around the area one being a security guard,
"Excuse me, but could you tell me where the Atlas statue is?"

His response, "Nope." He wouldn't even look at me.
I had another lady tell me she had no idea what I was talking about even when I described the statue to her.


So I decided to walk into some clothing store on 5th Ave and 49th Street and ask again. (Keep in mind, I've been strolling down 5th Ave between 51st and 49th Streets this whole time. Ok?)

"I'm sorry, but would you happen to know where the Atlas statue is?"

With a expression of utter confusion, the lady looked at me and said, "The what?"

"Atlas. You know, the man holding the globe on his shoulders."

Still confused she said, "Ummm.... I don't... no, I don't don't know about that. You might want to ask her." pointing to a coworker. "Hey, Amanda, do you know where - Atlas? Right?" Looking at me and then turning back to her coworker. "Yeah... do you know where the Atlas statue is?"

"Of course!" Amanda said. "That big statue?!! Yeah! It's way, way, way down 39th Street. Almost to the end. Way down there." Amanda overly chipper today, just so you know.

"So... way down 39th Street?" I said. This seemed way, way, way too far from Rockefeller Center. "I'll just continue down 5th until I get to 39th?"

"Yeah! It's way, way, way down 49th!"

"Ok, so I'll go to the end of 49th."

"Yeah, go way down 59th!"

"So, it's on 59th? Not 49th."

"Yeah! Way, way, way down 59th. You can't miss it. It's all the way at the end."

"Ok, well, I'll try that. Thank you for your help."

"No problem! Have a wonderful day!"

I walked out to the sidewalk where my mother was waiting.
"So," she said, "where did they say it was? You were in there long enough."

I began telling her about the conversation I just had with Crazy Amanda. We both agreed to find someone else. Then I realized... this whole time I had my booklet with me with all the sites to see in NYC. I could have kicked myself.

Finally! Atlas was located just up the street in between 50th and 51st. The reason we didn't see it before was because they had it covered for cleaning. The box it was in blended perfectly with the other buildings, so if you just walked by it on the street you wouldn't know it was there. Pretty ridiculous, I know.... but then so was Amanda.

1 comments:

Man-Duh said...

At least Amanda has a great name! She's got one thing goin' for her. :)
What a story!