Monday, December 1, 2008

Hardcovers VS Paperbacks - In Reagan's Perspective


I love Books! Sometimes my love for books is more powerful than my love for reading. I can stay in Barnes and Noble for hours and hours. Drinking a cup of coffee, thumbing through the pages of history, fantasy, thrillers; what more can I ask for? The only problem is the longer I spend in book stores the longer my "must read" list becomes, and then my bank account starts shedding some weight. Not good. Stick the the library, Reagan! STICK TO THE LIBRARY!

One thing I have discovered, is that I used to hate paperback books, but only for the fact that they deteriorate a lot sooner than hardbacks. My opinion has reversed in the recent years, because I can pretty much guarantee you I have a book everywhere I go. I usually carry this huge satchel, and you can bet there's a book in there. I used to not be this way. Ok, now back to why I now prefer paperbacks to hardbacks.


#1. Hardcovers are bulkier. There's certain ones I can't just throw in my bag and go. If I did, I would knocking everyone over with my humongous satchel. WHAM!!!! Oops! There goes grandma! WHAM!!! Oops! My sister just went through wall.

#2 After I'm finished reading a page, I flip it to the other side and crease the middle of the book. I love to grasp a softback and bend the pages to the shape of my hand has I'm reading. The book is curled a bit after I'm finished - like a taco. (Yummm!) You obviously can't do this with a hardback.

#3 I don't care if I get coffee stains on the pages or if I write in it or if there's smudges. Why? Because this book just cost me 5 bucks when that hardcover over there just cost me 30!

Don't get me wrong. I love hardbacks! Nothing looks better on your trophy shelf. That's how I feel when I've finished a book. I close it. I hold it out in front of me. I sigh a sigh of accomplishment. And I then I take a victory lap around my room; screaming to the top of my lungs. Once you've placed your trophy on the shelf, you're a winner. Nothing says it more like a hardback. The paperbacks just end up falling over. I don't know about you, but it gives me a sense of cheapness. It's like that trophy I got when I was in T-Ball. I didn't have it 5 MINUTES and the bat broke! What the heck!?!?!


So there it is. Hardcovers VS Paperbacks - In Reagan's Perspective.

4 comments:

jesse coffee said...

I definitely have to agree with you on the point that my love for books is usually, but not always, bigger than my love for reading them.

I also must agree about the fact that while hardback books look more awesome, and will potentially last longer, there is nothing more cool than having that ripped-up, tattered, written-on, coffee-stained paperback.

And with these pressing economic times, or just being 22 with a part-time job, you can't beat the price...

Bag Blog said...

For a cheap read, I vote paperbacks. If it is a book that you want to keep forever (trophy) buy the hardback. I have a hardback of Gen. Tommy Franks, which I had him sign. I also have a "We Were Soldiers..." which is all signed up by soldiers mentioned in the book. I have a couple of hardback books that I like to read over and over. Other than that, I go with the paperbacks, and I mark my pages with a bit of oily clay to roll between my fingers while I am reading.

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

its not whats its written on that counts...but recounting whats written in you.

just my take.

Course of Perfection said...

This is a great post. Colt & I were recently having a similar discussion. Not paperback vs. hardback, but Kindle vs. real books. Colt got a Kindle for his birthday. It's an AWESOME piece of technology and I have used it & enjoyed it. BUT...I feel a little robbed when I'm using it. I love the smell of old books, the feel, the artwork...even if it's just the cover. I don't think I could convert to being a full-time Kindle user.

The strength of the book cover is usually irrelevant to me. I like 'em all. I too, always look like I'm heading to class, even though I haven't been in almost 20 years.

If I ever get rich, I'll buy you a library...next to mine.