Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Awkward Moments

My mother and I were at a friend's house dropping off a gift or what not. As we were saying hello, their telephone began ringing. Problem was, the phone was cordless and most likely hidden between the cushions of their couch. As it rang she and her husband searched and searched throughout the house and... finally... they found the phone but it was too late. The caller had disconnected before they had time to answer the phone.

(Now, for a little low-down on this couple, although very sweet - I have yet to find life of a sense of humor in either one of them.)

She huffed and he shook his head with great disappointment as they gazed upon that burdensome phone. My mother, trying to lighten the situation, said - "You know, someday they're going to invent a phone attached to the wall. Then you won't have to break a sweat every time you have to answer the phone."

Knowing that my mother was making a joke, I began to giggling as did she. Our friends, on the other hand, stared at Mom as if she was an absolute idiot. I couldn't believe they actually took her literally! The room became awkwardly silent, except for my attempts to hold back a laugh.

Mom turned to me and said, "Well! I guess it's time to go!"

We said our goodbyes and bolted to the car before they could hear us laugh even harder.


PS

I'm so thankful to be in a family that can laugh at themselves under any circumstance.

Here's some of my favorite awkward moments in life... Although most are not my own, I just want to point them out.


Tyra Banks
(and her show)




Such as Miss Teen South Carolina
“I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don’t have maps, and, uh, I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq everywhere like, such as and I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., er, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children.”
Wow...


Ok, here's a moment that has definitely happened to me. Very Awkward..


Can't forget Elaine... My Hero.




And then there was the time I was trying to get a picture of "Heed." His father caught me...


6 comments:

inpassing said...

I can just hear your mom saying that...and see you trying to stifle your laughter.

Jesse Baggett said...

Heeere's Reagan laughing at someone diff'rent!

Bag Blog said...

I understand why Elaine is your hero.

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

He who laughs at others finds mirth, he who laughs at himself finds happiness.

Jared Johnson said...

I'm not gonna lie, I could not figure out what was awkward in the bathroom picture.

RunningMad said...

Thanks for the "Mantage" comment, Jess. I need to post the video... It's the supreme king of complete randomness in action.
Heeere's Jesse maintaining her beard! - Just joking, Girly. Your mustache isn't that noticeable.


All I can say, Jared, is that I found it quite awkward seeing a man standing at a urinal. Walking into the men's restroom was not cool, and not realizing it until you were leaving the stall is even worse.
Maybe it's different with guys being in the women's... I don't know... :o)