Monday, July 28, 2008

Daddy and the Caddy


My father used to have this '93 Cadillac DeVille that he just thought was the greatest boat - Excuse me! I mean Car, there ever was. We (my brother, my sister and I) were barely allowed to even eat in the caddy let alone drink, sneeze, cough, or breathe in it's presence. Now that I'm older, I somewhat understand him not wanting an 8-year-old eating french fries with ketchup in his beloved car. A few weeks ago, my nephew spilled a snow cone in my own backseat, and I was reminded of my father. However, snow cones would have never been an option with him. Smart.

But what really reminded me of the good ol' caddy days was Dad's famous words, "Can you slam the door any harder!?!"

We were used to "Junkers" - (translation: automobiles usually worth 10, maybe 20 cents). If you didn't slam your door, your body would most likely be thrown from the vehicle just as soon as the door flew open as you were sailing down the highway.

One afternoon, when Dad was taking Taylor, Lindsay, and I to Wherever, America; we hopped in the car, shut the doors, and here it came:
"Can you slam the doors any harder!?! My goodness!"

Each one of us reopened our doors and simultaneously slammed the them shut with all our might!
Neither Taylor, Lindsay, nor I knew that each of us was going to do the exact same thing at the exact same time. Our eyes were filled with shock! We couldn't believe that actually happened! Of course, we all began laughing so hard we were in the floorboard, except for Dad. He just stared at us, fiercely trying not to smile; therefore, he managed to pull off this awkward expression of deep disappointment, which made us laugh even more.

2 comments:

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

i'm assuming boogers in the floor were completely out of the sphere of cognitive thought.

Bag Blog said...

Do you have a nephew?