Sunday, July 6, 2008

Spoonerisms

Ever heard of Spoonerisms?

Believe it or not there is a name for those incorrigible tongue twisters.

A spoonerism is a play on words in which corresponding consonants, vowels, or morphemes are switched. It is named after the Reverend William Archibald Spooner, Warden of New College, Oxford, who was notoriously prone to this tendency. -Wikipedia.com

For example:

"The Lord is a shoving leopard" ("loving shepherd")

"It is kisstomary to cuss the bride" ("customary to kiss")

"Mardon me, padam, this pie is occupewed. Can I sew you to another sheet?" (Pardon me, madam, this pew is occupied. Can I show you to another seat?")

and one of my personal favorites....

"Let us glaze our a**es to the queer old Dean" ("Let us raise our glasses to the dear old queen")

Can you imagine a Reverend standing for a group people and shouting that across the room?

Most everyone as been a victim of spoonerisms at least once in their life.

Names are a common problem with me.

Jim and Kosh - Dear friends of the family. I've known them practically my whole life. Or at least Josh and Kim have known me my whole life.

Then there's my coworkers Jeau and Boseph. They share an office right across the hall from me. Most people refer to them as Beau and Joseph, but not me. No sir.

The list could go on, but what I'm really blogging about my latest spoonerism .

My family and I were enjoying a nice home-cooked dinner and discussing the latest happenings within our on daily lives.
My mother and I were telling of the wonderful food we experienced in New York City. Mom had this delicious dish that I couldn't remember the name of. It was several kinds of cheeses raped in a crap. That's right... I said, "Raped in a crap." Isn't that the greatest topic to be discussed at the dinner table? What I meant to say was "Wrapped in a crepe."

6 comments:

Course of Perfection said...

"Raped in a crap"...that does sound delicious.

Junk Diva said...

A lead of hettuce, is a favorte dish at our house.

Bag Blog said...

I'm very prone to spoonerisms - just ask jo and Besse.

Sea-gal said...

My personal spoonerism: "livers of riving water".. one of many. I'm glad to learn it's not an AGE problem!!!

The Friendly Neighborhood Piper said...

Tag! You are IT...see my blog!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.